Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Recent Books

Recently I have read a few books that I would like to endorse (I realize I am not exactly Oprah)

Anyhow, I read the children's book Because of Winn Dixie and I enjoyed it because it was simple and yet met all my criteria for being a good book. It had quirky characters, a southern town and taught a lesson about being a better person. A cute, quick, easy read.

After that, I read The Time Traveler's Wife by Aurdey Niffenegger. It was fabulous! It's about a husband and wife and their love story. However, there is a twist, the husband has a disease that causes him to uncontrollably travel in time. On the surface it sounded a little too sci-fi for me but it is written in a realistic and beleiveable way. It is closer to magic realism than it is to sci-fi. I really want for someone else to read this book. This is one of those books that makes you question love, fate, and purpose and the need to discuss it is great. After reading it, I went online to see if I could find a book discussion group and the local library had JUST finished one about this book. I was so mad for not having read it earlier!

If anyone wants to borrow it, I am more than willing to lend it out.

Also, in my quest for a good reading group I considered starting my own. Would anyone be interested? One thing that I really miss from being in school is reading and then talking about what was just read with others. I thought if we made one then everyone could have a turn suggesting a book with the group and then we could meet once a month and talk about it.

P.S. Now that all of my good friends have blogs, I feel obligated to blog more.

2 comments:

Wesley said...

So to meet your standards of being a good book the setting must be in a southern town...wow tough standards haha...I would love to be in your book group, maybe when I get back though as I dont exactly have books readily available...or I can tell you what books I do have and you can read those, so i can be a part sometimes...tell me what u think.

Amber said...

Wes sound good. And being in a southern town is not the only standard I have. The shoudl be in a southern town, include quirky characters and say something about how to be a good person. Did I leave those last two off the list? If I did it was a mistake